A fast trip to de Kreupel



Sep 16th, 2020
Andijk - de Kreupel - Andijk 11.8nm, NNE 4-5Bft, 1.5-2m


I've used the chance to go to the boat once more to try to solve the diesel problem I've noticed on the list couple of trips, since I've changed the fuel filter. The problem was actually very easy/fast to diagnose by running the engine for a couple of minutes and simply noticing what happens. The fuel lines were all dry, but there was a lot of diesel on the fuel filter mounted on the engine. It turns out both screws on the fuel filter and the screw on the fuel line leading from the fuel filter to the main block were leaking. Fortunately I was able to find a couple of gasket/washers at the Andijk Yacht Service shop nearby (for free!), at least for the to screws on the fuel filter, which solved 90% of the leakage.

Since the wind was blowing so nicely (17-20kn from east of N), I decided to take the boat for a ride. Getting out of the box was a pain- in spite of the NE wind, the aft or the boat turned to NE when coming out of the box, so I had to sail backwards all the way. Since steering backwards is such a pain, in spite of two rudders, I had to put the boat multiple times into fwd, straighten it up and put it in reverse again. There is a gap between the two pontoons, where I've tried to reverse the boat with no success - I've almost hit a pole, so I continued backing up all the way to the big open space in front of the gas station, where I've finally managed to turn the boat around.

Once on the IJsselmeer, I've set up the jib and the main with two riffs in it and experimented a lot of heave to positions. I've noticed that when the jib sheet is a little loose, the boat points higher in the wind. One mistake that I've done is to always keep the main tightly sheeted in - afterwards I read that easing it a bit stops forward reaching. 

The boat beat into the wind will the way to de Kreupel (what a difference in speed/time compared to last time!!!), I've tacked a couple of times to get as close to the island as possible, and then returned on a broad reach back to Andijk. There were quite steep waves, I had to change course a couple of times to get them on the right angle.





In front of the port entrance I've heaved to again, put the main down and noticed that I got quite close to the shore meanwhile. So I motored away from it, and took down the jib in the process. 

Getting in the box was a shameful experience - I've steered into it to late, and the wind blew the bow towards the next box. I've managed to get the line from the lee pole , while the whole boat turned 90° into the wind, touching the next pole. Thankfully the other boat(s) weren't protruding, so I didn't touch them except for a light anchor kiss. I managed to pull the boat into the wind up until I could reach the windward pole, and I continued pulling on the line in that one. Boat touched quite a lot of the pole, and the neighbor boat, but I hope/think it was only dirt I got from them. Anyways, it was quite an extreme experience - the first time when the wind was blowing from Northeast, through the open harbor and at full force. Lesson learned: steer the boat much earlier into the box, aim for the neighbouring windward box and try to keep the boat at an angle - the aft part will be blown by the wind anyways, while I'm tying up the windward line.

The good news is that after mooring was complete, there was absolutely no diesel in the bilge and only a minimal amount on the motor block.

Total: 1586nm, 198nm single-handed